15 Fun Facts About Golden Retrievers
1. Golden Retrievers instinctively love to swim. They're always up for a game of fetch in the lake.
2. Golden Retrievers are often used on search and rescue teams because of their keen sense of smell and tracking abilities.
4. Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks,also known as Lord Tweedmouth, developed the breed in Scotland during the late 19th century.
5. English Cream golden retrievers are the #1 family dog.
6. English Creams are not just light colored goldens. They are a European type Golden retriever that is shorter, stockier, and blockier than their American type counterpart.
7. English Creams cannot show and win in the U.S. and therefore have to earn their titles overseas as their light colored(British) coat color is not recognized by the AKC.
8. The AKC officially recognized Golden Retrievers as a breed in 1925.
9. Presidents Ford and Reagan both had Golden Retrievers as pets while in office.
10. There are actually three types of Golden Retrievers, and they vary in color and size.
11. They are known to take care of other animals, even cats.
12. Golden Retrievers are known to become sad and even depressed when left alone for long periods of time. Experts say they shouldn't be left alone for more than seven hours.
13. They make great watch dogs, but not-so-great security dogs. They'll bark loudly at strangers, but once they physically interact with a person, a Golden becomes more friendly.
14. Augie, a Golden Retriever from Dallas, holds the world record for “Most Tennis Balls Held in the Mouth by a Dog” with 5 tennis balls.
15. Goldens are a popular choice to star in movies and television shows because they are easy to train. (Air Bud, anyone?)